POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Absurdities III (115K) : Re: Absurdities III (115K) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 11:27:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Absurdities III (115K)
From: Rune
Date: 21 Aug 2000 17:13:35
Message: <39a19b7f@news.povray.org>
"Margus Ramst" wrote:
> Final, methinks...

I have compared the 3 versions of the image closely, and here is what I
think of the progress of the image.

As I see it, simplicity, abstractness, and a kind of "loneliness" were the
things that made the original image so great.

THE CREATURE
Version 1: Colors nice and subtle - slightly brighter than the gray
background plane. Creature strange and helpless looking. Rather simple -
fits well in image composition.

Version 2: Colors less subtle, more confusing and more annoying to the eye.
Creature more confusing and less helpless looking. In my opinion not as good
as in version 1.

Version 3: Colors bright and annoying, crying for attention. Besides that
slightly better than in version 2, but still not nearly as good as in
version 1.

THE GROUND
Version 1: A bit difficult to define - maybe cement with gold in between.
Nice and abstract looking.

Version 2: The highlights make it look more like polished stone. Less
abstract and dream-like looking. Not as good as in version 1.

Version 3: Because it is so bright, it is even worse than in version 2. It
now looks as though the scene is set on a bright sunny day - not good.

THE ROBOT
Version 1: There are two gray metals in the robot. A light gray for the most
of it, and a darker gray for the claws. This is nice and simple, and make
the robot stand out easily from the gray plane.

Version 2: The metal textures are more reflective or something, which makes
them stand out less from the ground. I also don't like the new shape of the
claws. It's probably because simplicity has suffered. The improvement of the
blue light is good though.

Version 3: The color of the robot is now equal to the color of the ground,
which is real bad. Also, the claws seem to be about the same color as the
rest - not good.

OTHER COMMENTS

I think it's really a shame with the extra robots you added. The unique
loneliness of the image is completely lost now. I also note that you
generally has tried to accomplish greater realism for each version, but it
has worked against you. The realism makes the image less abstract and
removes the unique feeling the first version had. For that reason I also
think radiosity is bad for this image.

So basically my comments can be cooked down to this:
The image may be more advanced and realistic in the new version, but it has
lost the unique feeling that was present in the first version. Sorry.

Man! That is the most detailed comments I have ever made about somebody's
image, but that is because I like the image so much!

Do you still have the source code for the original version?

> Kudos to Rune for the metal surface trick.

Thanks! It works nice in this scene I think, if only the metal was much
brighter, like in the first version.

Greetings,

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated July 23)