POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : URGENT: FRAME structure : Re: URGENT: FRAME structure Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:22:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: URGENT: FRAME structure
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 21 Aug 2000 14:17:01
Message: <39a1721d@news.povray.org>
In article <39A14C62.D82D43FC@ida.utb.hb.se> , Mikael Carneholm
<sa9### [at] idautbhbse>  wrote:

> Why remove something that's working just fine, and while doing so (removing,
> i.e.), making lots of scene files unusable at the same time that you're
> forcing the whole POV community to learn a completely new language?

No, not completely new.  The current problem is that POV scenes are
extremely hard to parse by any outside program (made even harder by the
programming features introduced with 3.0).  To make matters worse, these
features are hard to support without having to re-parse the scene when
rendering animations.

Additionally, in POV-Ray 4.0 a new parser will most likely be needed anyway.
Of course there should be some kind of converter from 3.5 to 4.0 scenes, and
the differences should not require to much relearning.

Anyway, nothing has been decided yet, so these are just my personal ideas
and I am not speaking for the team.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg