POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : object oriented features : Re: object oriented features Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:18:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: object oriented features
From: Tom Melly
Date: 21 Aug 2000 11:26:29
Message: <39a14a25@news.povray.org>
"Mikael Carneholm" <sa9### [at] idautbhbse> wrote in message
> Tom Melly wrote:
>
> > Such an approach might work for simple primitives, but would fail on
> > anything more complex - how do you define a sensible reference point for
> > blob?
>
> I don't think anything is impossible - until proven, of course. My
suggestion
> for blob as well as CSG objects or other complex objects is the use of a
> .subobject[] property, along with a .subobject_count. An example:

<snip>

Hmm, well, yes... So blobs would need seperate syntax to handle
spherical/cylindrical components, and you still don't have an origin for the
blob as a whole. I guess I might be more positive if I understood how you
thought this would help POV. I don't do much pov-animation - is that where
you would see it as more useful? Still, while playing this game, I would
have thought that if one was going to settle for an arbitary "origin" for
all objects, the best point would be the first vector specified for the
object. So, for a blob, it would be the first point of the first component,
whether cylindrical or spherical.

BTW, and I've only played with this in my head, but I'm wondering if one
could take a perl-like approach to OOP in POV and bolt OOP on with some
well-written include files ( a bit unfair on perl, but you know what I
mean... probably). Hmm, the more I think about it, the more possible it
sounds. Probably falls into the catagory of "interesting but stupid", but
might be fun to play with.