POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : URGENT: FRAME structure : Re: URGENT: FRAME structure Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:34:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: URGENT: FRAME structure
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 21 Aug 2000 08:45:18
Message: <39a1245e@news.povray.org>
In article <chrishuff-65D487.15374920082000@news.povray.org> , Chris Huff
<chr### [at] maccom>  wrote:

>> A more abstract language could hide these complex tasks behind the
>> POV scene language and use the many benefits of a hardwired access of
>> C++ (in POV-Ray 4.0) rather than doing it in small steps in the
>> interpreted POV scene language!
>
> Are you suggesting a new POV language? Not a bad idea, in my opinion,
> but certainly not a popular one.

To go back to the simplicity of parser features in earlier versions, i.e. no
macros and so on.  Even remove the declare statement.

Then, start from there and add the same features from scratch to be more
restrictive and combine it with a simple and powerful programming language
that can be fully integrated into the scene description much more
dynamically.  Details and features would have to be analysed very well in
advance, but then it might offer fantastic abilities.  Just image to be able
to create one object which can exist a million times just by a procedural
definition.  To keep this simple and easy to comprehend and fast to render,
a lot more would have to be done and researched, but I think something like
this is possible.

    Thorsten

PS: As for my other points, they where not specifically addressed to you,
but more general because I get the impression the discussions always start
because someone familiar with C/C++/Java starts thinking about "missing"
features...

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde