POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : image_map question : Re: image_map question Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:18:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image_map question
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 20 Aug 2000 19:37:27
Message: <39a06bb7@news.povray.org>
"Doug Eichenberg" <dou### [at] nlsnet> wrote in message
| Make sure you're using the proper map_type (I think map_type 1 for
| spherical),
| and make sure to include the map_once keyword so it uses one copy of the
| image
| map instead of tiling it.  Then you may need to scale it (I thnk it
defaults
| to a 1 unit
| wide square image).

map_type 1 is indeed the thing for spheres.  0 is default and maps to the xy
plane.
No need to use tiling for type 1 though, only for types 0 and 2 (planar and
cylindrical). since only those two can go beyond the 1 unit bounds of their
parent shape.  For cylinders it can extend upward and downward yet still not
wrap around anymore than just the one time as with spheres.
Scaling is another matter, you can scale (and translate) any type and get
mixed results.  But planar (less so cylindrical) is the kind most befitting
scaling and translating and use of the 'once' (sorry Doug :-} no "map_" part
on that one) keyword.
map types 3 and 4 don't exist, btw; type 5 is for toroidal or donut shape.
It will get more obvious as you go along.

Bob