POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : URGENT: FRAME structure : Re: URGENT: FRAME structure Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:27:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: URGENT: FRAME structure
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 20 Aug 2000 12:33:54
Message: <39a00872@news.povray.org>
In article <399ff1e0@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

> : I did NOT say that this is close to Lisp...
>
>   Well, that's what your statement seems to imply:
>
> : Hmm, what about a language more like an object oriented lisp. For example
>        =====================      ====                    ====  ===========
[...]
>  I undestand your statement that your example should look like lisp.

Well, English and German are belong to the same family of languages, yet
they do not look the same either.  Yet the "idea" (history), if there is
such a thing behind a spoken language, is the same.

So, please do not read my "like" as "looks like", but if the plain "like" is
not precise enough for you as "inspired by" Lisp.  Also, you cannot just
pick a few words of a sentence and ignore the rest:  I didn't say "like
Lisp", I said "like an object oriented lisp" - note the words _between_
"like" and "Lisp" :-)

As for the actual "idea" behind Lisp is the abstraction _and_ the way it is
implemented, this is the actual similarity between the examples I provided
and any example doing the same in Lisp.  I played it safe by using an
example which would in this style nearly work in a language I know:
AppleScript (which is very similar to HyperTalk).

And at least HyperTalk is considered to be part of the same language family
Lisp is a member of (also it is not _close_ to Lisp syntax)...

     Thorsten

PS: I tried to find a good link to some place proving my statement, but
unfortunately any search for Lisp and AppleScript or Hypertalk return tons
and tons of resume pages <sigh>   The closest but not very well discussed
note I could find is at <http://www.useit.com/papers/tripreports/ht89.html>.
I don't have any of my Prog. Language (History) books here in Germany, so I
can't give you any printed references right now :-(

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde