POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Displacement mapping with POV-Man! : Re: Displacement mapping with POV-Man! Server Time
19 Aug 2024 18:28:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Displacement mapping with POV-Man!
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 27 Oct 2000 09:35:08
Message: <39F984D5.5A941CE0@aetec.ee>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Vahur Krouverk wrote:
> >
> > Shader in POV-Man is object's pigment and modifies pigment's color and
> > opacity (transparency), so it should work with regular "stuff" more or
> > less as expected. At least I hope so: I haven't tested it yet with
> > advanced features (such as multiple layered textures, media, photons,
> > glows etc.) and perhaps there are problems, lurking around.
> > Or did You meant something else?
>
> That's somehow what i meant, but as in your sample, it also seems to be capable
> of surface perturbation and therefore i wonder how things work with CSG,
> 'trace', etc.
Well, forgot to mention, that shader can modify shading normal (i.e.
change normal's direction).
But in this hypertexture example it is just play with transparency and
color, shading calculation (for diffuse, highlights etc.) in shader uses
own calculated normal, object itself remains still sphere. I guess that
trace will detect as sphere, same with CSG. But such example is probably
not the "usual" use of shader, mostly it just modifies object pigment's
color.