POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : VB-Coder für Modeller gesucht! : Re: VB-Coder für Modeller gesucht! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: VB-Coder für Modeller gesucht!
From: Paul Blaszczyk
Date: 21 Oct 2000 11:09:40
Message: <39F1BF98.D6A13EB5@alpharay.de>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Yes, but probably most programmers experienced in povray related stuff and GUI
> programming including things like OpenGL probably know the special vocabulary
> much better in english than in german, even if they speak german in the first
> place.

I do, too ;)
I meant more things like source-code descriptions, task distribution, in-code
documentation and the general discussions about parts of the modeller. When one make

a mistake in translation, days or weeks of programming can be for the trash, because

he tries to do something he knows he must do...

In all, I will create POV-Studio (as first) in english. Later follows german and
other languages.

> Probaly VB programs are never as fast as c++ or delphi code can be (i did read
> your part about c++/asm dll's, but this covers only the parts of the program
> written in the single dll's) but that was not the thing i wanted to point out.
> There are a lot of techniques possible in c++ and delphi that make life easier
> for the programmer when dealing with large projects i remember not beeing
> implemented in VB (maybe some are now), for example:
>
> - function pointers (pointers in general ?)
> - the concept of OOP (including class libraries for many special purposes)
> - dynamic arrays
> - overloading functions

Let suprise you by VB.net (VB 7)  ;-)   Some cool things like OOP and threading are
included. I can't tell you whether the other functions listed by you are included in

VB, because i havn't used theese up now (i'm coding mostly database-applications
with ADO or small graphical editors.

> Again, i don't want to discourage you, just think you might consider a different
> programming language.

After 10 years QB/PB and 1 year VB i doesn't learn a another language ;)
I know some c++ and ASM, but haven't time to learn VC, and at work i code in VB
only.
The second is, the time to code a GUI in VB vs. VC...on program i've created in VB
in about ten hours a good VC coder (he coding VC about 5 yers long) needed about 2
weeks, and his editor was not so clear and looks so professional like my in VB.

>  I will not discuss whether i have to use VB or VC... i'm only seraching for
(german) VB coders   ;)

Paul