POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : bunsen flame question (partial spoiler for irtc) [26kb] : Re: bunsen flame question (partial spoiler for irtc) [26kb] Server Time
19 Aug 2024 20:17:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bunsen flame question (partial spoiler for irtc) [26kb]
From: David Fontaine
Date: 21 Oct 2000 02:03:26
Message: <39F12EFC.61498E7B@faricy.net>
Ian Witham wrote:

> I think someone in the group doing high-school science should be kind enough
> to conduct a little experiment for Tom....  As for me, I believe there would
> be no shadow of the flame (certainly not a purple shadow) just the shadow of
> turbulated air (but no suggestions on how to do that sorry).

I haven't checked but I don't see how a flame could have a shadow other than the
turbulated air. Fire is just energy, no? Well, the stuff burning/smoke, but in
this case just clean-burning gas and oxygen so no noticeable shadow from that.

As for the flame itself, I think if you have a real good one going there should
be a more definite, more saturated inner cone/parabola with a thin aura around
it, but depending upon what's behind it it can show up very well or almost not
at all. (And man did we have a hot one going on Wednesday!)