POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : A real Jumpgate amimated : Re: A real Jumpgate amimated Server Time
20 Jul 2024 13:26:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A real Jumpgate amimated
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 20 Oct 2000 07:52:39
Message: <39F03208.841313F1@ij.net>
"Bob H." wrote:

> "Matt Giwer" <jul### [at] ijnet> wrote in message news:39EFE17E.28644E0C@ij.net...
> >
> > And I don't have the actual "jump" yet but here is a first cut after 30
> > hours for 100 frames.
>
> What is your computer?  A 90MHz Pentium?

	PII/333 linux getting over 90% of the cycles. I will release the code
later. The time has to do with the multiple reflections and refractions.

	A torus

	interior { ior 0.9}

	phong 5 phong_size 7

	It would look better and take longer if I increased the maximum
reflections.

	The more interesting the effect the longer it takes to render.

	In the midst of rendering I remembered a little trick that should cut
it down to 16 hours but if I increase the reflections I can break even.

> Seems awfully long time for that to
> render out.  Is it because of reflection used in both the ship and the gateway?
> You may think me odd but I especially like the first couple dozen frames.  The
> gate seems to make the ship shrink, illusion I suppose.

	That was deliberate as an illusion as to suggest the jumpgate is giving
distance as in a jump. The object is scaled smaller by distance into the
jumpgate.

	Next we go through the jumpgate in _pursuit_ of it before it before it
can _escape_. See www.irtc.org for details.

> I was getting space sickness after a few loops played through.

	Such a compliment I could not pay for ...