POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Multi-machine rendering... : Re: Multi-machine rendering... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:28:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Multi-machine rendering...
From: Frank Nikolajsen
Date: 20 Oct 2000 06:57:39
Message: <39F025A0.F6333838@warpspace.com>
Fran Firman wrote:

> I'm currently working on a way to use the many machines at work to
> render over automatically, with out having to setup things like pvm....

[Snip.]
> So is this something that people are interested in???

[Cut.]

> Cheers
> Fran

  Even though I'm a very green newbie when it comes to Povray, I have
been working and thinking of doing something similar for some time, as
animation is my main interest.

  So far I have made a small shell script, that, given a POV file for a
single image, let the rendering happen in two different processes on a
single machine. With SMP hardware this speeds up rendering times by just
about a factor of two.

  If at some point in time I get *really* serious, then I am thinking of
making a small cluster of diskless SMP machines on a dedicated network.
The needed control software will not be anything spectacular, just rsh,
NFS and lockfiles for the basic structure, and possibly Perl to split up
and control the workflow.

  So yes, I at least would be interested in seeing what you have made.

  Regards

    Frank.