POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ancient Mariner Final : Re: Ancient Mariner Final Server Time
20 Aug 2024 04:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ancient Mariner Final
From: Robert J  MacG  Dawson
Date: 18 Oct 2000 10:01:17
Message: <39EDADC0.A95AE17@stmarys.ca>
Mick Hazelgrove wrote:
		 The figure gave much more trouble and it will have to
> stay as is: spotlights were horrible and served only to increase render time
> and light up the surroundings. I've tried double illuminate, increased
> ambience, reflection etc. but nothing really makes it more 3d, anyway I
> suspect it would be more or less a silhouette in the real world.
>
> Mick

	Mick - this is utterly brilliant.

	Some off-the-wall ideas tomake the cape look more 3D:

	Would gamma adjustment help?

	You could render a cape in isolation with cape-optimized lighting, then
image-map that onto the real cape, with 100% ambient lighting.

	 Or use a normal-based pigment in MegaPov?

	 Or a spotlight with a black planar patch _exactly_ edge-on to the
camera to catch the light before it hit anything else?? No, you said the
spotlight looked bad as well.

	 It is also possible that a very intense (greater than 1) but wide
metallic phong or specular highlight on the cape would do the trick -
metallic to match the color, and high intensity to comensate for
thecolor's darkness.   Or a much dimmer nonmetallic one, if the light
color is suitable.

	-Robert Dawson