POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Twisted Squares : Re: Twisted Squares Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:28:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Twisted Squares
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 18 Oct 2000 04:00:36
Message: <39ED58A4.D26C5D23@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
Edmund Horner wrote:

> I am considering how to render the shape of a "twisted square".
>
> The shape is defined by four points, with a surface made of straight lines
> forming a grid over the "square".  Apparently this is a quite reasonable
> shape, and is useful for making surfaces.
>
> But I do not think pov-ray provides it.  Anyone got any advice on how I best
> go about adding it?

It depends...

First of all, there is nothing like lines in povray, you would have to use
cylinders for that.

making a grid of cylinders should not be a problem, just make 2 nested while
loops and build the cylinders according to a function (in megapov you could use
eval_pigment for example)

the sombrero.pov sample file that comes with povray does something like that
with spheres, you just have to modify it for cylinders connecting the points.

BTW, you should ask such questions in povray.newusers/povray.advanced-users,
because this group is for discussing questions concerning the povray source
code.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>