POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Final(?) WBD Logo (101 KB) : Re: Final(?) WBD Logo (101 KB) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 13:22:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Final(?) WBD Logo (101 KB)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 17 Oct 2000 14:05:41
Message: <39EC94F4.A18B80E8@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
Cris Williams wrote:

> I think I see what you're talking about.  The rim is lit more harshly at the
> top and top-left and as a result casts a darker shadow.  There are six
> lights sources around the logo, and the brightest one is causing this.
> Unfortunately, that same light is also keeping the plate's surface bumps
> from getting washed out.  Getting the lighting correct has been the toughest
> part of this project because of all the bevels and layers.  :-(
>
> Cris

You already mentioned you are using a lot of lights when you posted your first
version, but in my opinion it's quite possible to achieve realistic results with
only few light sources.  Some things important for that:

- light source not near the camera
- light source far enough away
- area lights for soft shadows
- brilliance and roughness in the finish statement are most important for the
diffuse and specualar components

There is nothing against many light sources in general, apart form slower
rendering, but managing a lot of light sources when adding modification can be
quite difficult (as you also mentioned) and does not neccessarily lead to better
results.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>