POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Texture Scaling Anomaly : Re: Texture Scaling Anomaly Server Time
5 Sep 2024 12:23:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Texture Scaling Anomaly
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 16 Oct 2000 15:04:48
Message: <39EB43E5.412FAB1A@peak.edu.ee>
"Kyle D. Jackson" wrote:

> When I first applied this to a larger model (about 400 units
> long or so), the texture made a "patch quilt" appearance
> on a macro scale.

I believe what you're seeing is a known problem with functions that use noise or
dnoise (for example bozo, bumps and granite patterns, and turbulence).
Specifically, the problem manifests itself at large negative distances from the
origin (e.g. -10000 for bozo, -10000/128 for granite). A workaround is to
translate your pattern in the positive direction.
There is also an unofficial version that (reputedly) fixes the problem:
http://www.enst.fr/~jberger/mpov/mpov.html

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee