POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPov 0.6a Available : Re: MegaPov 0.6a: manual correction for ss 8.9 Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:30:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPov 0.6a: manual correction for ss 8.9
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 16 Oct 2000 13:51:07
Message: <39EB4009.9A12DAE9@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
Michael Andrews wrote:

> Hi Nathan,
>
> The manual gives the displace warp syntax as
>
> warp { displace { PATTERN, COLOR_MAP } type TYPE }
>
> which is what went into the MP+ manual as well.
>
> I understand the correct syntax (at least, it works for me) is
>
> warp { displace { PIGMENT_BODY type TYPE } }
>
> which means you can put in anything from a declared pigment name to a
> full compound pigment pattern ...

When we are talking about the displace warp documentation i would also suggest
to change the description how it works:

right now it says:

'In type 1, the brightness of the pigment color determines the directions and
amounts points are pushed.'

which is perfectly right, but does not describe things very detailed.  I would
either suggest (derived from what Chris Huff wrote in p.g.):

'It displaces the pattern according to the differences in brightness of the
control pigment's color away from brighter and towards darker areas.'

or in more mathematical terms:

'It displaces the pattern according to the gradient vector of the control
pigment's color.'

I hope suggestion this doesn't sound too picky, but since the displace warp
seems a quite important new feature, I thought it should have a complete
description.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>