POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ancient Mariner Final : Re: Ancient Mariner Final Server Time
20 Aug 2024 04:19:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ancient Mariner Final
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 15 Oct 2000 19:41:38
Message: <39EA333D.B3D74611@peak.edu.ee>
Mick Hazelgrove wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I managed to get the grass sorted with a 2x2 area light, any bigger and
> render time rocketed! The figure gave much more trouble and it will have to
> stay as is: spotlights were horrible and served only to increase render time
> and light up the surroundings. I've tried double illuminate, increased
> ambience, reflection etc. but nothing really makes it more 3d, anyway I
> suspect it would be more or less a silhouette in the real world.

I think you've managed to convey the right "feel" of a seaside setting, I'd know
the sea was there even if the water wasn't visible. Actually, it reminds me very
much of a beach near my father's old family home.

What strikes me as a bit odd is the position of the sun. The coloration of the
sky (which quite is superb) would suggest that it's early sunset, yet the sky is
still relatively high above the horizon... I may be wrong about this, though.

The figure - personally I think that from this angle against the sun, he would
be even more of a dark shilouette. The sun is behind the edge of a cloud - but
only just.

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee