POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Blurred transparence - attached files (1/1) : Re: Blurred transparence - attached files (1/1) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 22:09:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blurred transparence - attached files (1/1)
From: Hugo
Date: 13 Oct 2000 05:11:39
Message: <39E6DFAF.41B3AD9@mailme.dk>
Hello!

I'm really glad whenever I see people want to improve POV, and are able
to do it!  ;o)  Now, pardon me for being dumb maybe but I still wonder
why you are not using a simpler method for blurring.

I can imagine my idea isn't working with transparent surfaces, but.. In
my opinion it wouldn't produce a wrong result if: POV renders the
reflection in the "ordinary" old way, but into a separate buffer instead
of the screen. Then use simple and fast gaussian blur, and them UV map
it onto the object again, as a pigment.

I don't know if nearby objects are supposed to blur less, according to
physics, but if so, then we could use the same method as post-processing
camera depth blur.

I know there's a tricky thing according to edges of the object, if it's
blurred my way. But my idea is that the buffer should contain a
reflection of the object that "follows the objects shape".

As you can see, I'm not used to explaining this.. But I can try further,
if necessary..  :o)

Hugo