POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Blurred transparence - attached files (1/1) : Re: Blurred transparence - attached files (1/1) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 22:15:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blurred transparence - attached files (1/1)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 13 Oct 2000 04:16:16
Message: <39E6C4CF.D31473CE@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
Chris Huff wrote:

> I plan to add jittering to my patch eventually, it should be quite easy.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

> > I always thought a convolution matrix can only be applied to a
> > rastered pattern,
>
> Why?
>
> > at least you would have to specify some kind of scale factor for the
> > matrix IMO.
>
> What? I don't know what you mean by "scale factor"...
> My patch allowed you to specify the size of the matrix separate from the
> number of elements, is that what you meant?

I mean the convolution matrix has some scale in relation to the pattern, the
distance between two neighbored elements in the matrix must have some
representation in Pov-units.  Of course that's independent from the number of
elements...

> > If i understand things right, it's worth trying adaptive calculations
> > (like used with antialiasing) when working with a larger matrix.
>
> That is the other method I was talking about. :-)
> Basically, sample along each axis, possibly with anti-aliasing and/or
> jitter.

That's not exactly what i was thinking of, although it also sounds interesting.
I meant a regular convolution matrix but leaving out elements in calculation
that are not neccessary.  Imagine fo example blurring a checker pattern leads to
a lot of identical elements in the matrix.

After thinking a bit further about this idea it's probably not that feasible,
maybe just forget about it :-)

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>