POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : ANN: new Windows 9x texture editor released : Re: ANN: new Windows 9x texture editor released Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:19:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANN: new Windows 9x texture editor released
From: Chuck Roberts
Date: 6 Oct 2000 16:25:29
Message: <39DE3541.C0A1F821@alleganisd.org>
Warp wrote:

>   - General:
>
>   Viewing all possible features, even mutually exclusive ones, at the same
> time might not be the best approach. They take valuable screen space and
> don't seem to be intuitive.

Sounds like a good idea. I don't know if I'll do this though.

>   - Control area:
>
>   Why there's a 'Rename' button when the name of the texture is apparently
> in an editable text box?

Because you enter the new name, then hit Rename to save the new
name.

>   How about pre-defined textures and materials?

These are planned for later.

>   - Pigment screen:
>
>   The pre-defined color could also show the color in question.
>
>   In 'Pattern' the color map could also be shown. For an example, here is
> how CME does it: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~warp/cme.png

Is CME your program? Is it just for generating generic colors or
is it for POV colors?

>   This screen should show all the settings such as turbulence, octaves,
> lambda, omega and so on.

Turbulence parameters (octaves, lambda, omega, etc) are not
implemented everywhere turbulence is possible (yet).

>   - Normal screen:
>
>   The screen seems to lack slope maps.

Yes.

>   - Finish screen:
>
>   It seems unclear how an ambient color is chosen. One could expect R, G and
> B sliders to select the color.

Double click the color box. For the Finish tab, click the button
next to the item (like ambient color) to choose if you want to
use just an amount or a color. (See manual ArchUser.rtf.)

>   Range-limiting sliders also take valuable screen space when they are not
> really needed.

You got that right.

>   Since the text box is not editable, one can't put a value by hand. This
> means that some values just can't be entered (because the slider jumps over
> those values).

You mean smaller decimal values can't be used?

>   The meaning of the slider after the 'Metallic' checkbox is unclear. It
> doesn't seem to have any meaning.

It's metallic amount. The amount portion is optional.

>   - Interior/media screen
>
>   It may be a good idea to put checkboxes at the left of 'IOR', 'Caustics'
> and so on to let the user specify whether he wants to use the specific
> feature or not (without having to clear the value).

For those features, if the value is zero, they are not used.

>   Also there doesn't seem to be any way of specifying the pattern to be
> used in the density.

I thought there was.

>   It seems that multiple medias are not supported. Again, a hierarchical
> tree might be a solution.

I didn't know one could use multiple medias.

--
See my Free stuff page. It compares free website providers, and
lists free internet access providers.

Win98 help file loaded with hints and tips, including securing a
Win 95/98 PC in a classroom setting. VB4 help file with lots of
code and hints.
At http://www.crosswinds.net/~robertsc/