POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Why copying a CSG doesn't work as copying a mesh? : Re: Why copying a CSG doesn't work as copying a mesh? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 04:15:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why copying a CSG doesn't work as copying a mesh?
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 5 Oct 2000 15:12:20
Message: <39DCD45F.1C478D53@free.fr>
>   I think it's faster to test a ray-triangle intersection than a
> ray-any-other-object intersection.
>   There may also be something about triangle meshes being better for
> octrees or something. I don't know.

	I guess it's mainly the second. Just add a "hierarchy off" to
a big mesh and you will see a great saving of memory but a never-ending
rendering. Mesh are fast to render because the triangles are sorted and
the bounding-boxes put in a tree (octree ?). Unfortunately they are
also much longer to parse than an equivalent union of triangles. So
the question is: do we want to spend 15 minutes in parsing to get a
2 minutes rendering, or to get 5 minutes parsing and 10 for rendering ?
(numbers are completely random...)

*** Nicolas Calimet
*** http://pov4grasp.free.fr