POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Curving cylinders and cones? : Re: Curving cylinders and cones? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curving cylinders and cones?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 5 Oct 2000 12:57:03
Message: <39DCB298.ABEA6C93@inapg.inra.fr>
Geoff Wedig wrote:

> I think a sphere sweep might be your perfect solution.  Assuming you can
> compute the points that the cylinder begins and ends and intermediate
> points, this will give exactly the effect you want if you use one of the
> splines.  Even if you don't use a spline function, it should be cleaner than
> using a lot of cone segments as the edges won't be visible.

For the record, here is a croissant-making isosurface I posted in p.advanced-users
some time ago.

#declare major_axis=5;
#declare minor_axis=1;
#declare a=function{sqrt(x^2+z^2)-major_axis}
isosurface{
    function{sqrt(y^2+a^2)-minor_axis*(0.9+z*0.2)}
    contained_by{sphere{0,10}}
    eval
    threshold 0
    pigment{Red}