POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 2002: Mars Encounter (WIP 66kB) : Re: 2002: Mars Encounter (WIP 66kB) Server Time
20 Aug 2024 00:13:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2002: Mars Encounter (WIP 66kB)
From: Claudius Klein
Date: 3 Oct 2000 14:44:51
Message: <39DA2982.FE48FE6C@cityweb.de>
Sander wrote:

> Claudius: all objects are really very good, but I have one question. To
> what astronomical object do the clouds belong? How could one ever see
> anything like this in reality? It is more like something in a dream, I
> have the feeling... Or is Mars placed very near to earth?
> --
> Regards,  Sander

It's some kind of science fiction fantasy. Mars has left its orbit and
encounters earth very near. What you can see is the sight from an observing
airplane that is flying between to cloud layers. The clouds belong to the
earth which is a sphere with radius of the earth (1 POV-unit = 1 kilometer)
and some simple water texture. Similar mars is also a sphere with image_map
and radius of Mars. The distance between the two planets is about (without
looking at the sources) 6000 kilometers. So this would be a very bad
catastrophic event.

The scene was purely some kind of playing around to get a nice space image.
Nothing too serious - and the source is too simple to post for analysis. :)

Hope this helps.

Claudius