POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Siberian Summer (195K) - realistic cloud swirls? : Re: Siberian Summer (195K) - realistic cloud swirls? Server Time
19 Aug 2024 22:17:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Siberian Summer (195K) - realistic cloud swirls?
From: Anton Sherwood
Date: 1 Oct 2000 23:16:41
Message: <39D7FFB6.76B31B6C@pobox.com>
quoth Yadgar:
> But even with this simpler version, a new problem arises: which
> pattern/noise modification to choose to get halfway realistic cloud
> coverage, i. e. cyclonic/anticyclonic whirls? . . .

It would be far from trivial to write but here's an idea.  Remember that
a spiral system cannot cross the equator.  (I'd qualify that statement,
but this way guarantees that if my assumption is wrong someone will
point out a picture disproving it.)

Consider a crackle function (of standard form) on the equatorial plane.
Within each crackle cell is a spiral function whose strength is
proportional to the crackle function.  (This function will add to or
subtract from the cloud cover which is otherwise bozoid.)

Map this plane function stereographically to the globe, by stereographic
projection (through a bit of turbulence) onto each hemisphere.
Disregard it entirely if the crackle cell's core is projected onto land.

Hm.  To make the spirals less obviously regular, map a bozo through a
complex function like (1+i)*log(z) ...

--
Anton Sherwood  --  br0### [at] p0b0xcom  --  http://ogre.nu/