POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Son of YMFWR: extremely low error_bound : Re: Son of YMFWR and more settings notes Server Time
20 Aug 2024 00:10:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Son of YMFWR and more settings notes
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 29 Sep 2000 18:50:53
Message: <39D51DA1.5FD8D45B@unforgettable.com>
"Tony[B]" wrote:

> I don't see any difference either. Xplo?

You don't?

The error_bound .3 render doesn't have a very smooth shadow compared to
the other one. I've attached an exaggerated illustration of the
difference so you can see what to look for.

Some scenes don't need the ELE settings, but people who've been
reporting dark artifacts might benefit from them (I'd like to see this
checked.. who was having trouble with that church?), and a speedup is a
good thing in any case.

I've been doing more testing, and I've noticed that a count of 300 and
an error_bound of .03 produces pretty optimal results in that disks
scene at 640x480; at that point, the blotches and edge artifacts become
smaller than a pixel and cease to be visible with or without
antialiasing, and cranking the quality any higher only wastes time.
You'll still need to tune the numbers for your own scenes, of course,
but this is (I'm guessing) probably plenty good enough for any scene
that's not getting its rad lighting from small, bright objects.

-Xplo

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'illust.jpg' (3 KB)