POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Noisy thoughts : Re: Noisy thoughts Server Time
1 Sep 2024 22:15:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Noisy thoughts
From: Jérôme Berger
Date: 26 Sep 2000 12:06:28
Message: <39D0C983.84F02ED8@enst.fr>
Vahur Krouverk wrote:

> Speeding up noise is Good Thing(TM). Lots of textures use it and its
> speedup will make scene rendering faster as well. I've thought about
> trying this myself, but I haven't had time or good profiler to do it.
> What is this range problem, which loses this speed-up? Can't you avoid
> it?
> Very big numbers? Very negative numbers? Do You mean input vector
> values? Can't you subtract some negative value to push it on positive
> side as it is in POV-Ray code? And then take module from this? Does this
> really slow down Noise function? Or do You mean something else?
	Very very positive (as in more than what a long can contain) and very
negative (as in less than -10000) numbers. Of course I can do it the
same way it's done in pov now (in fact that's what I do). But I was just
suggesting that I could add an option that would allow people to get the
whole range at the cost of speed if they need it (of course I intend to
use the fast noise as the default).

--

* Doctor Jekyll had something * mailto:ber### [at] inamecom
* to Hyde...                  * http://www.enst.fr/~jberger