POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Post Process, Color Clipping and Gamma Correction : Post Process, Color Clipping and Gamma Correction Server Time
1 Sep 2024 22:18:43 EDT (-0400)
  Post Process, Color Clipping and Gamma Correction
From: Jérôme Berger
Date: 25 Sep 2000 05:46:11
Message: <39CF1EE3.59631582@enst.fr>
When you render a pic with povray, the color range can be more than 0-1
an d it gets clipped before saving. Then in order for a scene to look
the same way on all machines, the image is gamma corrected according to
assumed_gamma and display gamma. But the post process filters act after
this clipping and gamma correction. I don't think this is a good idea, I
think the post processing should occur before color clipping and gamma
correction. I know that a post process filter can access the original
un-clipped, un-gamma corrected values, but:

* Since the post processing occurs after gamma-correction, the results
are machine dependant which defeats the whole purpose of assumed_gamma
and display gamma;
* If a post process filter needs to act on the unclipped values, it will
have to ignore any filter that runs before itself, whereas if the post
processing worked with the unclipped values and a filter needed the
clipped values, it could clip them itself. The reverse is not true;
* In the same order of idea, if the user wants some clipping and/or
gamma correction to be done before other filters, it's easy for him to
specify them explicitely (I think they already exist anyway) so that
means more choice and flexibility.

	What does everybody think?

--

* Doctor Jekyll had something * mailto:ber### [at] inamecom
* to Hyde...                  * http://www.enst.fr/~jberger