POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Afghan Sunrise (133K) - problem with star background : Re: Afghan Sunrise (133K) - stars now correct, but surface in twilight Server Time
20 Aug 2024 00:08:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Afghan Sunrise (133K) - stars now correct, but surface in twilight
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 23 Sep 2000 18:48:08
Message: <39CD08B0.96EEB8B1@ndh.net>
Bob Hughes schrieb:

> Try adding absorption <0.5,0.5,0.5> to media and adjust the vector to fit
> what you need for color.  Also might want to try removing the transmit (rgbf
> <1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0> instead) from the container pigment as well since that can
> enhance background object colors causing a brightening.
> This will cause a darkening of the media so scattering will need to be
> changed to counteract.

I removed the translucency statement, and the distortion of the stars
disappeared... with enhanced scattering color (I used a multiplier
factor of 10!), the media, i. e. the gradiented fringe along the
horizon, also
retained its brightness... but, whether I use your proposed amount of
absorption
or no absorption at all, now the Earth's surface appears in dull
twilight,
just as if the sun still was below the horizon (which is not, in fact,
it's about

future
versions I will rotate Earth a bit back, so that the sun actually can be
seen
(using a customized lensflare effect) slightly above the horizon).

Just increasing the sun's brightness only resulted in an "overexposure"
of the media, but not in a lit surface with realistic contrast... how to
fix
that?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar