POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : It hurts... (~113kau) : Re: It hurts... (~113kau) Server Time
20 Aug 2024 00:11:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It hurts... (~113kau)
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 22 Sep 2000 19:24:50
Message: <39CBDC1A.164DD32F@peak.edu.ee>
"Tony[B]" wrote:

> ...when a render doesn't finish after 1 day, 7 hours, 29 minutes and 1
> second, reporting that there was a "Rendering error. Out of memory. Cannot
> allocate 144 bytes for octree block." Yup, that hurts a lot. Especially when
> you've tried to leave the machine alone, so it renders faster during this
> time period. Can someone tell me why this happened? What is an octree block,
> and why did it eat up all my RAM?

It's radiosity data, but I'm not sure why you ran out of memory; don't you have
any swap space? Anyway, you should still be able continue the render, discarding
the old octtree and generating a new one. The render will be slower, though.
As for the render time, that's nothing. You'll see, when my current render
finishes :)

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee