POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Feature Idea: Rotational Coordinants : Re: Feature Idea: Rotational Coordinants Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:30:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Idea: Rotational Coordinants
From: Pabs
Date: 21 Sep 2000 05:00:38
Message: <39C9CDF1.6AD63974@hotmail.com>
Chris Huff wrote:

> > Chris - have U thought of changing this to be dependant on the type
> > of object with your method the default for new objects. Sphere could
> > be very fast - just a vector subtraction & VLength. -Don't know about
> > other objects though
> > Like Nathan's UV mapping patch add your new function to Method_Struct &
> > write a new version for all/most current objects
>
> I am currently right in the middle of doing exactly this...that is why
> the proximity pattern no longer works in MegaPOVPlus. Boxes, spheres,
> cylinders, cones and torii should be quite easy, as should be CSG unions
> of these...other objects will be more difficult, and will use a modified
> version of the sampling method at first.

When I first heard of the proximity pattern I wondered why U didn't do it
this way in the first place.

> > I'm using this in my upcoming object camera patch
> What camera patch?

You'll find out next week **probably** (I H8 deadlines)- basically just takes
the normal a point on an object, turns it into a ray & traces as per usual.
I may post an image on p.b.i tomorrow of one using a bicubic_patch.

--
Bye
Pabs