POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosity - interior scene test (90 kbu) : Re: Radiosity - interior scene test (90 kbu) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 11:27:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity - interior scene test (90 kbu)
From: David Fontaine
Date: 14 Sep 2000 23:55:13
Message: <39C19C6E.E24396E4@faricy.net>
Xplo Eristotle wrote:

> It isn't? Boy, I sure must suck then.. I've had reasonable success
> lighting a room with "artificial" lighting, but as soon as I try to open
> a door or window and shine sunlight in, my lighting model goes straight
> to hell.
>
> I suppose I could adjust the lighting so that the sunlight doesn't
> create numbers greater than one, but then my other lights get dimmed
> into nonexistence and so does my radiosity. A patch that bends the
> luminance in 48 bits *might* fix this, but it seems like a ghastly way
> to develop a scene, and I think some kind of adaptive scaling would be
> much, much better than clipping.

Well, if you want to get technical, it would be physically accurate to have those
artificial lights dimmed into nonexistence (assuming enough color depth). Then you
would just turn off the room lights, display the pic on a black background and stare
at it until your pupils have dialated enough... of course, the other problem is that
you'll never get realistic intensities, black levels or contrasts on a CRT.