POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosity - interior scene test (90 kbu) : Re: Radiosity - interior scene test (90 kbu) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity - interior scene test (90 kbu)
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 14 Sep 2000 05:33:16
Message: <39C09B8F.74B7CEB8@kivisalo.net>
ingo wrote:

> The film used here is a slide film, so it's a transfer function
> [scene->transparencey].
>
> > If the transfer from film to paper/transparency is
> >not linear this would have to be modelled too.
>
> It's not linear, the dynamic range of film is bigger than that of paper.

The maximum contrast ratio of 24bit crt display viewed in low ambient light
is about 170 and a 35mm slide has contrast ratio of over 500. Typical office
lighting reduces crt's contrast ratio down to 5 so it would be better to
model the paper process.

> Some curves of the tri-x b&w negative film

It's good to have someone around who knows about photography :)
This should be of interest to photographers:
http://www.naturalvisionsystems.com

I will now disappear down to my secret laboratory to ponder this new
information. There must have been previous research on this area
so now would be a good time to search for it also.

Kari Kivisalo                                  http://www.kivisalo.net