POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : wip needs help : Re: wip needs help Server Time
1 Oct 2024 11:27:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wip needs help
From: ryan constantine
Date: 13 Sep 2000 19:27:37
Message: <39C00C2E.AE816093@yahoo.com>
> > have you been to the site where the
> > guy has something like 40 pages of the inconsistancies of the exterior
> > and interior sets?  in the end he produces plans for how big the
> Sure I have!  Almost all the information I used came from that site!

great.

> > exterior should be (the current one is WAY too small), and makes the
> > much needed inside layout changes.  i really like the way he did it,
> > even if it isn't EXACTLY the way the real interior set was.  if you
> > finish the exterior and size it correctly (did you know the ertl/amt
> I will, but it's not very likely I make the interior.
> What's ertl/amt?  I thought I knew most of the SW-shorts.

ertl/amt makes plastic model kits.  i used their model as the basis for
my xwing, using dial calipers to measure the parts, but comparing to
pics from the movies to make up for problems in the model.

>  But It shouldn't be too
> difficult to scale it to 1unit=1 meter.

my xwing was roughly a meter=unit, but had to scale it a little in the
end to make it longer.  i knew the overall length, and i knew my
proportions were correct, so i just made a box the right length and then
made sure it barely fit inside length wise.

> I think I have about everything I need to finish it.  Maybe a more detailed
> picture of the bottom (for the armor-plating)

i have a huge one of the bottom straight on.  want me to email it to
you?

> If you're using MegaPov (which I believe you are) I recommend you use
> image_pattern.  I think it's more flexible.

i'll look at that route.  thanks.

> Oh, in that case material_maps might be more useful.

still, it's good to have options.

> I wish you luck.

thanks again.

> What's your next project?  I believe you once mentioned the DeathStar?

next project is a far model of the death star (i'll eventually do 3
models; far (low detail), medium (a chunk of it where you can see
detail, but also the curvature), and a close model (for running through
the trench)).  right after i do the far model, i'm going to blow it up
using a combination of several explosions others have posted that i feel
i can modify and put together to get EXACTLY the same result as the
movie.  that'll be exciting.  thanks for asking!