POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosity - interior scene test (90 kbu) : Re: Radiosity - interior scene test (90 kbu) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 18:29:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity - interior scene test (90 kbu)
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 13 Sep 2000 17:54:40
Message: <39BFF7D2.87BC7F08@kivisalo.net>
ingo wrote:

> To take a picture of a high contrast subject, you have to overexpose, this
> pushes the average density towards the shoulder of the density curve,

I understand this. It reserves more dynamic range for the shadows
and medium brightness areas and cuts the bright areas. The user would
adjust the exposure to best fit the scene.

> to compensate you have to develop for a shorter time.

I was thinking the output would be automatically scaled so that the
brightest area in the image is set to 255 after the transfer curve.

My assumption was that the characteristic curve
http://www.kodak.co.uk/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/e55/f002_0494ac.gif
is the system transfer function [scene -> paper/transparency]. If the transfer
from film to paper/transparency is not linear this would have to be modelled
too.

> one photosim for the monitor
> one photosim for the printer
> one for the slide-printer

This is just a general color management problem and has nothing to do with povray.
POV-Ray produces best output on monitor. If you want to print it just tell your
CMS the specs of your monitor and all is fine :)

Kari Kivisalo                                  http://www.kivisalo.net