POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : wip needs help : Re: wip needs help Server Time
1 Oct 2024 05:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wip needs help
From: ryan constantine
Date: 13 Sep 2000 16:59:14
Message: <39BFE9A2.80DD1D36@yahoo.com>
> The shadow line is most likely caused by a combination of three things in
> the finish: diffuse, brilliance, and specular highlighting.  In this case it
> looks like the highlight is the culprit most of all, along with a possible
> negative brilliance.

brilliance was either 1 or 2.  might 'metallic->influence' have
something to do with this?  the angle of reflection is whatever the
angle is between the light that bounces near the shadow toward the
camera.  which affects reflection or highlight angle most; diffuse,
brilliance, or spec. highlight?

> And that light with color*2 isn't helping matters I'm
> sure.

do you think i should change the light to just 'color'?

>  The strangest thing there is the plate where the electronic eye (?)
> is.  Looks like a reflection but doesn't make any sense to me.

yes, that is because the main square part surrounding the eye is curved
the same as his head, but the rectangle to the right (r2d2's left) of
the eye frame (which is also blue) is actually rectangle, so the two
surfaces react differently to the same light.  the abrupt change occurs
where the surfaces change.

> The missing part might be either translated wrong, such as not remaining
> attached, or perhaps it really is a flaw in the type of part.  I can only
> speculate, something I do best.

i'll have to take a look at the other side again.  i haven't done
renders of that side since the last time i posted, so i could've messed
something up and not known it.

thanks for the input.