POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosity - interior scene test (90 kbu) : Re: Radiosity - interior scene test (90 kbu) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 05:19:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity - interior scene test (90 kbu)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 12 Sep 2000 17:18:00
Message: <39BE9DC5.261C3B4D@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> Yes. In fact, the lighting setup requires a limit of 2 (at least in Kari Kivisalo
> setup). The trouble is that using a limit of 2 I had a terrible answer from the
> character mesh (very ugly artifacts), not to mention the exploding render time.

That's probably true.
I just started a try myself, but can't judge for the mesh of course.

> Photons would certainly be appreciated. Not sure about the render time though. I
> also tried a version with media... Cough, cough.

There are sometimes things that require waiting for a faster computer :-) Doing
this scene with media would definitely be interesting.  I did not use photons
very often but they would also be useful when adding a glass pane to the window.

> > Most other things look extremely good, esp. the chairs (reflectivity works good
> > on them), but using these high end radiosity settings in a more complex scene
> > will probably be real pain :-)
>
> That's precisely what I want to know. Right now it's quite acceptable and much
> better than any radiosity I've done with Povray, but there's still a lot to test.
> Arnold-like things are very nice but if I can't replicate some of the effects in a
> real scene with a render time compatible with my lifespan I'll be very
> disappointed. Note that at the same time, a complex scene could be more tolerant to
> radiosity artifacts so there's hope.

I made the experience that combining isosurfaces with radiosity can be very
slow.  I would probably use less slow radiosity settings and fake some things
with additional light sources etc. instead.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>