POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosity - interior scene test (90 kbu) : Re: Radiosity - interior scene test (90 kbu) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 05:21:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity - interior scene test (90 kbu)
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 12 Sep 2000 16:21:59
Message: <39BE8FE3.CEA94976@inapg.inra.fr>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> The lighting of the paper walls looks very pleasant, while the other walls seem
> to have much artefacts.  I wondered about brightness 2 - i always thought it
> should stay near 1. Have you tried brightness 1 and recursion_limit 2 ?

Yes. In fact, the lighting setup requires a limit of 2 (at least in Kari Kivisalo
setup). The trouble is that using a limit of 2 I had a terrible answer from the
character mesh (very ugly artifacts), not to mention the exploding render time.

> The reflective floor with no visible light reflections on the walls is somewhat
> irritating.

Photons would certainly be appreciated. Not sure about the render time though. I
also tried a version with media... Cough, cough.

> Most other things look extremely good, esp. the chairs (reflectivity works good
> on them), but using these high end radiosity settings in a more complex scene
> will probably be real pain :-)

That's precisely what I want to know. Right now it's quite acceptable and much
better than any radiosity I've done with Povray, but there's still a lot to test.
Arnold-like things are very nice but if I can't replicate some of the effects in a
real scene with a render time compatible with my lifespan I'll be very
disappointed. Note that at the same time, a complex scene could be more tolerant to
radiosity artifacts so there's hope.

G.