POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Solar Sail : Re: Solar Sail Server Time
1 Oct 2024 07:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solar Sail
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 4 Sep 2000 10:39:42
Message: <39B3B46A.2D2F9683@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
Simon de Vet wrote:

[...]

> I've been debating this a bit on www.scifi-art.com. Some think that a solar
> 'rudder' would not work, and others that it would work, but would require a huge
> turning radius (couple of lightyears. Ouch.). Some have reccomended chemical
> thrusters for navigation, but I'd rather stick to light as much as possible.
>
> Anyone have steering ideas?

I think a 'rudder' would not work, but some kind of third sail in the front,
more flexible than the two main sails would be worth trying.

BTW, the total shape of the sails probably has to be highly symmetrical if it
sould be realistic.  Both your model and the star trek model have some vertical
asymmetry, that makes it look impressive but unable to fly a straight course.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>