POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cornell : Re: Cornell Server Time
1 Oct 2024 07:21:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cornell
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 3 Sep 2000 06:41:59
Message: <39B22B9F.68EB45C2@unforgettable.com>
MikeH wrote:

> Probably the only thing I wasn't able to translate was the falloff to
> the area light in BMRT, as the shader source puts it "cosine falloff
> from the normal of the light source surface", whatever that means.

Kari messed with this a while back. He (she? it? they?) ended up using a
spotlight to simulate the cosine falloff stuff (as I understand it, this
basically says that directly under the light its intensity is 100%,
directly to the side it's 0%, and it varies in between according to a
consine function). Worked pretty well as I recall, you might want to
hunt up the posts.

-Xplo