POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : focal blur bug : Re: focal blur bug Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: focal blur bug
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 30 Aug 2000 10:43:23
Message: <39AD2009.83EA0AA0@free.fr>
>   (If you want non-grainy focal blur, use 'variance 0'.)

	Unfortunately 'variance 0' seems to be not enough to avoid
the grainy looking, especially along edges of some blurred object.
It can be a little bit better when using antialiasing method 2
(need unofficial version) while rendering focal blur. The CPU price
to pay is of course even bigger...
	By the way I always wondered why we get this grainy result
(again with variance 0 and high number of samples, e.g. 100). It's
never perfect. Also media and area-lights have basically the same
behaviour. Could be a problem with random number generator ? Code
in POV-Ray for that seems to be good enough... Can't understand
what's happening exactly.
	How do other (commercial) raytracers achieve so "pure"
effects ???? Maybe it's no more raytracing in this case...

*** Nicolas Calimet
*** http://pov4grasp.free.fr