POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: Previews of Ice Planet stuff : Re: Previews of Ice Planet stuff Server Time
2 Sep 2024 04:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Previews of Ice Planet stuff
From: David Fontaine
Date: 29 Aug 2000 16:50:29
Message: <39AC1FDE.21DBD949@faricy.net>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> I like the first one, looks a bit like one of those ancient paintings of arctic
> expeditions.

Thanks!

> The crystals seem a bit too transparent to me, but maybe they just suffer from
> the lack of a background to reflect. They don't look like ice crystals so they
> probably won't fit in the landscape.

Oops, forgot reflection! The crystals I was just toying around with, they need a
little work.

> In the third one i do not realize the difficulty (the stats seem quite extreme
> though) but maybe i just don't see enough details in the pict.

It's fairly simple in theory: for each layer of bricks, make a grid, and specify
each element as outside, part of a cylinder, or part of a hemisphere. Next, go and
take out any "nubs" (cylinder elements that only have one adjacent cylinder
element). Then go laying bricks around the outside of the cylinder portions. Then
fill in the domes (the domes are solid :-(  ).

Personally, though, I find POV-Ray's language hard to read. I am used to C; you
always know where a line ends with a semicolon, no manually incrementing loops,
'{}' indicates blocks rather than objects.
POV, on the other hand, is very dense visually; characters like '#', long keywords,
etc. Loops and other control aids are virtually indistinguishable without actually
reading the code, because in order to change a variable you need #local or
#declare, which has the same first character and is the same color as #while and
#end.

Of course, that's no excuse for '<' versus '<=' or indexing from one... ;-)

--
David Fontaine   <dav### [at] faricynet>   ICQ 55354965
Please visit my website:  http://davidf.faricy.net/