POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : IMBJR Flood : Re: IMBJR Flood: picnic table analogies Server Time
20 Jul 2024 23:33:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IMBJR Flood: picnic table analogies
From: ryan constantine
Date: 28 Aug 2000 15:10:59
Message: <39AAB940.5F1CEF84@yahoo.com>
the main (or real) problem as i see it is this:  the povray community
that frequents these newsgroups is as tightly knit as it can get over
the internet.  since you don't seem to like church, i'll use a swimming
pool as an analogy.  as new people have come in, they have all waded in,
politely testing the water to see not only what the written rules are
here but the unwritten as well.  they have all made the transition from
newbie in the newsgroups to regular user without much, if any, problem.
so when you showed up one day (presumably without lurking for long) and
did a canon ball right where everyone was relaxing, people didn't
appreciate it.  these groups are here for community support.  personal
web pages are for showing off.  it is easy to get a ton of free space on
the web.  my brother has twelve geocities accounts, so lack of web space
is a pretty lame excuse to flood the newsgroups here.  i don't mean to
come off as condescending, so don't get me wrong.  we just do things
different from most newsgroups and we like it our way.  so we appreciate
it when newcomers conform.  as for why the 'heirarchy' as you call them
haven't come down on you yet, they are probably waiting to see whether
they have to or not.  most of the people that come through here are or
behave like adults and so we work out most of our problems ourselves.
if enough people complain however, i'm sure something would be done.
anyway, hope you don't feel i stepped on your toes.