POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : IMBJR Flood : Re: IMBJR Flood: picnic table analogies Server Time
20 Jul 2024 21:18:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IMBJR Flood: picnic table analogies
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 28 Aug 2000 08:32:23
Message: <39AA5A99.D78A50A9@my-dejanews.com>
IMBJR wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>>     That *is* a problem...but it shouldn't be too difficult to get
>>     some space on some free provider.
>  It is easy, and I do have some, but it is taken up with other
>  material. However, as I have stated before I prefer Usenet
>  for exhibition.
>>> Mmm, it is because it works by the NTTP protocol - which makes it usenet.

This ain't the usenet, it's not like the National Park Service or Central
Park.   It's more like a sheltered picnic table on a church's property, which is
free for public use on weekdays, within certain guidelines. You come in and say
you want to store a few cases of canned goods on it, because your pantry is
full.  Your main justification is that you can get away with it.  How incredibly
selfish.  You point to the lack of a lock on the door as justification, making
the church consider getting a lock.

> Yes, it is privately owned (like virtually all news servers: commercially,
> academically, or even as a hobby) - it is not private though. It still forms
> part of the general usenet community.

A picnic table with no lock means it's Central Park, right ?

Do private servers---from usenet ones like Deja.com to non-usenet ones like
news.povray.org--- have the right to decide the terms of the public's free use
of their picnic tables?