POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cloud test : Re: The Solution! (Re: Cloud test) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 18:30:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Solution! (Re: Cloud test)
From: Simon de Vet
Date: 27 Aug 2000 22:26:11
Message: <39A9CE1C.14667F1B@istar.ca>
Nick Portelli wrote:

> Why are image maps so frowned upon in the POV community?  Almost all of
> the big wig renderers use them solely.

It's my personal belief that when I'm rendering, I'm not trying to win a
race, or stick to rules, but just make a nice looking picture. If an
imagemap can produce good results (as the comments have shown), and it
suits my situation, then I will use an imagemap. If I need more
flexibility, then I will use procedural textures.

There are no correct and incorrect tools, merely tools that are, or aren't
suited to the job. There is nothing more honourable in using a penknife
when a chainsaw is better suited to the job, and vice-versa. Both have
their uses, and there is no reaosn for conflict.

Simon