POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cloud test : Re: Pigmenting Clouds Server Time
1 Oct 2024 18:32:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pigmenting Clouds
From: Abe
Date: 27 Aug 2000 15:44:01
Message: <39A96F22.93E28E7F@taconic.net>
Simon de Vet wrote:
--snip--

> I've looked at other people's cloud techniques, and they all use 3-d to generate
> 3-d looking clouds. Some use media, or isosurfaces, or stacked planes, but all use
> actuall objects.

--snip--

If I may beat my own drum for a sec, I posted a non-media 2D cloud
example not too far back. The method provided for some 3D lighting
effect. For the results, the rendering times were pretty fast. I'll take
the liberty of sticking in another example my pigment clouds below.
(This was from an effort to copy the technique from the TGLTLSBFSSP page
which you mentioned).

I have always thought that simple bump mapping should do the trick of
providing the correct shadows to pigment. So far though, I have had very
little success with it in POV. Not sure why ...

Abe

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'clouds_simple.jpg' (33 KB)