POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cloud test : The Solution! (Re: Cloud test) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 20:21:53 EDT (-0400)
  The Solution! (Re: Cloud test)
From: Simon de Vet
Date: 26 Aug 2000 20:32:55
Message: <39A8620F.1D4C63F3@istar.ca>
Equiprawn wrote:

> Hey,
>
> <ego_boosting_comment> Cool image! </ego_boosting_comment>
>
> Now some observations :) Firstly, thought it is hard to tell with the water,
> there doesn't seem to be any shadows cast, either on the water surface or on
> other clouds. Also, judging from the ship the lighting is quite low, and
> almost directly to the left of the ship - yet teh lighting on the clouds
> seems to be quite high and from a source somewhere behind the camera. So I
> am guessing that the clouds aren't a real-time lit object. I don't want to
> hur any feeling here, but ... imagemap?

Ding ding! We have a winner!

I guess this shows that, on occasion, imagemaps aren't the terrible solution
they're made out to be.

I am planning, however, to create some POV code to generate semi-realistic
clouds procedurally. In my experimentation, I have made some progress, and I
think it should be do-able.

In the mean time, with time running out before the IRTC entry is due, I found a
very reasolable stop-gap solution, as all the positive comments attest to.

Simon