POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPov 0.5 radiosity problem.. : Re: MegaPov 0.5 radiosity problem.. Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:13:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPov 0.5 radiosity problem..
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 18 Aug 2000 04:45:06
Message: <399cf792@news.povray.org>
| Take out the radiosity{} block, and it renders "correctly."  It does
| this no matter what where the camera or light source is.  It renders
| correctly under both Superpatch and plain ole' 3.1  All that is
| happening is that the outer edge is being brightened more than it should
| -- and, interestingly enough, the distance inwards that this ring
| reaches is inversely proportional to the brightness of the center spot.
| The brighter the central spot, the smaller the area affected.  Anyone
| ever seen this before, or have a clue what's causing it?

Seems a numerical problem relating to color maps but nothing I know about to
begin with.
I gave your test a try and found that the bad effect disappears at around
0.015 (640x480 res) for the index 1 color.  I changed gamma downward to 0.5
or 0.1 to get a much better look at it too.
Increasing the index 1 color to 10 seems to make it disappear once again but
I couldn't say for sure it does altogether, it simply moves the "ring"
outward more and more as the rgb is increased.
Anyway, it's certainly a color map number thing and however it relates to
radiosity.  So you're not the only one seeing the problem.

Bob