POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Whos da best? : Re: Whos da best? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:12:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Whos da best?
From: Rune
Date: 16 Aug 2000 13:14:56
Message: <399acc10@news.povray.org>
"Chris" wrote:
> Is MegaPOV better then plain ole Povray?

That depends on in which way you mean better.

Is MegaPOV 0.5 better to use than POV-Ray 3.1?

MegaPOV has more features, but is also a more unstable and slow.
Anyway, I'd say MegaPOV is better to use.

But MegaPOV is not better in all respects. If it were, then MegaPOV should
be changed to be the official version, and I doubt that many people really
would want that.

Official POV-Ray is faster, more consistent and logic in syntax, have fewer
bugs, does only have features of a certain standard of usefulness, is much
better documented, and there's probably other advantages I have forgot.

I think that when POV-Ray 3.5 comes out I will stop using MegaPOV, even if
there's many MegaPOV features that doesn't make it into POV-Ray 3.5.

Greetings,

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated July 23)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org