POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cross?! Not me! :o) (14.8KB) : Re: Cross?! Not me! :o) (14.8KB) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 20:22:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cross?! Not me! :o) (14.8KB)
From: Simen Kvaal
Date: 16 Aug 2000 04:05:04
Message: <399a4b30@news.povray.org>
> > In my experience, a depth (+r) higher than 2 gives almost no difference
in
> > apperance.
>
> Try rendering a scene with a v. high frequency normal pattern. I've gone
as high
> as depth 5 to get good anti aliasing.
>
> MJL

Sheesh! I've never run across such notorious examples! I really don't have
_that_ much experience with antialiasing; I've only done a few renderings on
a _fairly_ advanced scene and compared the differences.

A aa-depth of 5 would _drastically_ slow down render time on a complex scene
where really only a few objects actually need it. What about
object-dependent aa? You could attach a number to an object (maybe in the
finish-block) that "hints" povray on how accurate it must be rendered. When
you turn on aa, rays that hit the object in question get super-sampled
_more_ than others. I don't know, but it doesn't seen too difficult.
Speedup? Most likely.

Simen.