POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Aircraft Design : Re: Aircraft Design Server Time
1 Oct 2024 20:22:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Aircraft Design
From: Jens Strohmeyer
Date: 19 Aug 2000 11:59:09
Message: <399EAEF0.9618847@tu-bs.de>
Jon Berndt wrote:

> > > I like it. Sort of P-38-ish. Looks like it would fly just fine. Have you
> > > calculated any theoretical moments of inertia or stability derivatives?
> It
> > > might be interesting to try it out in a flight simulator.
>
> Jens Strohmeyer <j.s### [at] tu-bsde> wrote in message
>
> > Hello Jon !
> > Of course I have.
> > But so far, I havent had the possibility of testing it in a simulator
> > because I dont have a flight simulator aircraft construction tool. :(
> > It would be great to test it that way, I already thought about it.
> > I have read some info about FLIGHT GEAR quite a while ago.
> > Do you think it will be sufficient for that task ?
>
> I am biased. ;-)  I am the coordinator for JSBSim, an open source flight
> dynamics model (FDM) that is used for FlightGear, along with the NASA
> Langley LaRCsim FDM. For the past two years I have been writing a C++ FDM,
> with the cooperation of a couple other guys. If you can give me the mass
> properties and stability derivatives I can model it. See the link below in
> my signature. FlightGear/JSBSim currently models the C-172 and the X-15. I'd
> like to create a movie using the data output from FlightGear/JSBSim and use
> POV-Ray to render the approach and landing.
>
> > I don't know about the current development stage though.
>
> (see www.flightgear.org) We are at version 0.7.4 and just finished showing
> at the San Jose Linux World show. There is one Linux distribution that is
> now including FlightGear (Debian? Mandrake? SUSE? - it's not RedHat).
>
> Jon

> Jon S. Berndt
> JSBSim Project
> www.hal-pc.org/~jsb/flightsim.html

Well, I thank you very much for the offer !  :-)
But to my regrets I am not allowed to send
you any detailed data of the aircraft because
I have signed a contract with an aircraft
production company.
The aircraft design is part of the contract
and also contents of my thesis (diploma).
I hope you understand my situation.... sorry !

I have downloaded FlightGear to my Win98 system
and tested it, but it seems still to have some stability problems.
Sometimes it runs without any problems, sometimes not.
If you show me how to integrate a new aircraft
into FlightGear, I could model it by myself, I think.
It would be nice to stay in contact !

Best regards,
Jens